At last, it’s available digitally! The spinning fundamentals program I developed for Stringtopia Fiber Arts Studio is aimed at taking you from your first interest in making your own yarn by hand all the way up to being a comfortable intermediate spinner in only 4 months including your practice time.
Your purchase grants immediate access to all the course recording playlist you can watch again and again while you practice, plus realtime access to multiple Discord chat channels where you can discuss with your fellow students, and where I’ll check in regularly to answer questions.
To begin the hands-on exercises, you will need a stick or a pencil, and some spinnable fiber, ideally wool, although you can work with any fiber you are able to find. You can also attend this class without doing it hands-on at the outset, and save your access to the class sessions to do at your leisure.
As soon as your registration is processed you’ll receive access to the private web page that tells you how to navigate your new content! Work at your own pace and join the growing community of Spinning I-IV graduates!
We recommend you create an account here at abbysyarns.com so you can come back and redownload your info PDFs and course content without having to email us and ask if you can’t find it later.
You will learn:
- The first fundamentals of making yarn by managing unspun fiber and twist using your hands, a stick, and a simple spindle you’ll shop for and select with guidance during the month-long session;
- how to make a skein using only your hands or things you have around the house;
- how to wash your skein, measure it, store it, and select a potential use;
- how to troubleshoot common problems;
- basic terminology;
- basic definitions of fiber preparation;
- basic fiber information (what are wool, cotton, silk, etc)
- basic spinning wheel mechanics
- principles and methods of yarn measurement
- principles and techniques for different yarn structures
- drafting methods
- preparation methods
- yarn design principles and calculations
- how to spin for specific purposes
- and so much more!
Completing Spinning I, II, III, and IV unlocks access to seminars and classes for which that foundational framework is a prerequisite, including certification in the Franquemont Method of teaching the ancient technology of making yarn by hand.