Sign up for the entire Mid Year Trimester at Franquemont University, and get all this:
As long as your membership is current, you will have access to everything we’re doing and we’ll ask for your input as we keep growing and doing more. You’ll also be offered opportunities to beta test new programs and offerings and receive regular discounts on products we bring to market.
You will also receive discount codes from our supply partners for fibers and other related materials.
May – August 2022 sees the return of this series in a new format; previously recorded content shown as twice-monthly ‘watch parties’ to all course participants together, who will be able to watch together and discuss the content, encouraging each other in their learning. While the course was originally intended to give beginners the building blocks they need to become intermediate spinners over a period of 3 months, with a 4th month to apply their new skills in a project, experienced spinners have also found this course invaluable in deepening their understanding of how twist works and how to make the yarns best suited for the desired task. Several of our students have worked through the course more than once, learning something new each time.
Your purchase grants immediate access to all the course recording playlist you can watch again and again while you practise, plus realtime access to multiple Discord chat channels where you can discuss with your fellow students, and where Abby and team will check in regularly to answer questions.
To begin the hands-on exercises, you will need a stick or a pencil, and some spinnable fiber, ideally wool, although you can work with any fiber you are able to find. You can also attend this class without doing it hands-on at the outset, and save your access to the class sessions to do at your leisure.
You will learn:
- The first fundamentals of making yarn by managing unspun fiber and twist using your hands, a stick, and a simple spindle you’ll shop for and select with guidance during the month-long session;
- how to make a skein using only your hands or things you have around the house;
- how to wash your skein, measure it, store it, and select a potential use;
- how to troubleshoot common problems;
- basic terminology;
- basic definitions of fiber preparation;
- basic fiber information (what are wool, cotton, silk, etc)
- basic spinning wheel mechanics
- principles and methods of yarn measurement
- principles and techniques for different yarn structures
- drafting methods
- preparation methods
- yarn design principles and calculations
- how to spin for specific purposes
- and so much more!
Completing Spinning I, II, III, and IV unlocks access to seminars and classes for which that foundational framework is a prerequisite, including certification in the Franquemont Method of teaching the ancient technology of making yarn by hand.
FIGS or Focused Interest Groups are ongoing guided study sessions where you can delve deep into our growing list of topics of interest to our members. Specific topics are chosen and dynamically scheduled throughout the trimester based on student participation and interest, and are always recorded. FIGs are intended to provide responsive deeper-dive sessions involving what our active members want to know. Our current list of topics is:
- Andean Weaving NEW!!
- Bast Fibers
- Blending Fibers
- Breed Studies
- Drafting Methods
- Fiber Preparation
- Luxury Fibers
- Plying Structures
- Sock Yarn NEW!!
- Spindle Productivity
- Spindle Focus
- Spinning For Weaving
- Spinning Fine
- Spinning Thick
- Synthetic Fibers
- Teaching Spinning
- Yarn Design
Want to know more about FIGs? Here you go!
In addition, registration for this level of membership comes with access to all prior FIGs on Discord, including those recorded courses, plus at live Office Hours sessions (also available recorded). Enjoy deeper dive sessions 60-90 minutes long on a variety of spindle topics, hand carding, and so much more!
YOU WILL NEED
– Computer, Phone, or Tablet that can run Zoom
– Computer, Phone, or Tablet that can run the Discord app, or a web browser that can access it
– YouTube access for recorded videos
– Preferred: Computer, Phone, or Tablet with a camera and microphone so you can share photos and videos
– Something to Spin, and Something to Spin With — your choice of fibers (you will also receive a discount code for recommended fibers from our supplying partners) and your choice of spindle or flyer (wheel or e-spinner).
This is a recurring membership. You can cancel at any time before the renewal date.
You may also like: