Get the entire trimester of spinning courses at Franquemont University’s year end 2021 trimester!
Spinning I-IV classes are running again as LIVE SESSIONS every other Saturday beginning in September! These classes are required to take the more advanced classes that FU offers. These sessions are also available recorded, and come with access to the 24/7 chat in support of these courses and LIVE Office Hours throughout the trimester.
During Spinning I-III you will learn:
- The first fundamentals of making yarn by managing unspun fiber and twist using your hands, a stick, and a simple spindle you’ll shop for and select with guidance during the month-long session;
- how to make a skein using only your hands or things you have around the house;
- how to wash your skein, measure it, store it, and select a potential use;
- how to troubleshoot common problems;
- basic terminology;
- basic definitions of fiber preparation;
- basic fiber information (what are wool, cotton, silk, etc)
- basic spinning wheel mechanics
- principles and methods of yarn measurement
- principles and techniques for different yarn structures
- drafting methods
- preparation methods
- yarn design principles and calculations
- how to spin for specific purposes
- and so much more!
In spinning IV you will choose your own spinning project and design a yarn for it based on what you’ve learned in the previous classes. Don’t worry, you aren’t expected to finish the whole project before the semester ends, but you will be able to sample and swatch, and get advice and support from Abby and your classmates to allow you to finish in your own time.
You will also receive discount codes from our supply partners for fibers and other related materials.
FIGS or Focused Interest Groups are ongoing dynamic guided study sessions where you can delve deep into the 16 initial topics we’ve selected for September, October, November, and December 2021. What topics? I’m glad you asked! Here’s the list:
- Plying Structures
- Drafting Methods
- Blending Fibers
- Teaching Spinning
- Spindle Focus
- Fiber Preparation
- Bast Fibers
- Spinning For Weaving
- Spinning Fine
- Spinning Thick
- Spindle Productivity
- Yarn Design
- Luxury Fibers
- Breed Studies
- Synthetic Fibers
BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE, because full trimester access comes with the SOLSTICE SHENANIGANS, our signature challenge event with prizes for feats of textile coolness in a wide range of fun categories!
LIVE classes will take place via Zoom on Saturdays at noon Peru time / 1pm Eastern Daylight Time / 6pm BST / 10 am Pacific Daylight time, beginning on 4 September 2021. These sessions will also be recorded and available for viewing on your schedule. Saturday sessions will alternate between Spinning I-III Live, and dynamically scheduled FIG classes.
In addition, registration for this class comes with access to the 24/7 class chats for Spinning I-IV, current classes, and FIGs on Discord, plus at least 2 live Office Hours sessions per week (also available recorded).
To participate in live classes for this session, you will need to be working through Spinning I, II, and III, or have worked through Spinning I, Spinning II, and Spinning III from the Franquemont Method Spinning I-IV Bundle, which you can work through at your own pace and which also come with 24/7 community chat and access to all the recorded Office Hours plus at least 2 live Office Hours sessions per week. If you’re just joining us now, don’t worry! All Access membership lets you get right to the archive for past sessions of these classes in addition to the live sessions and FIGs.
YOU WILL NEED
– Computer, Phone, or Tablet that can run Zoom
– Computer, Phone, or Tablet that can run the Discord app, or a web browser that can access it
– YouTube access for recorded videos
– Preferred: Computer, Phone, or Tablet with a camera and microphone so you can share photos and videos
– Something to Spin, and Something to Spin With — your choice of fibers (you will also receive a discount code for recommended fibers from our supplying partners) and your choice of spindle or flyer (wheel or e-spinner).
You may also like: