- Abby Franquemont
- 3 Comments So far
At last, it’s available digitally! The spinning fundamentals program I developed for Stringtopia Fiber Arts Studio is aimed at taking you from your first interest in making your own yarn by hand all the way up to being a comfortable intermediate spinner in only 4 months including your practice time.
SPINNING I meets weekly for 4 sessions, giving you time to practice in between those sessions.
Each session is 2 hours total and takes place live on Zoom, with a recording available after the session for you to review while you practice. You’ll also have access to a Discord chat channel where you can discuss with your fellow students, and where I’ll check in daily to answer questions throughout the session.
To begin the hands-on exercises, you will need a stick or a pencil, and some spinnable fiber, ideally wool, although you can work with any fiber you are able to find. You can also attend this class without doing it hands-on at the outset, and save your access to the class sessions to do at your leisure.
You will learn:
- The first fundamentals of making yarn by managing unspun fiber and twist using your hands, a stick, and a simple spindle you’ll shop for and select with guidance during the month-long session;
- how to make a skein using only your hands or things you have around the house;
- how to wash your skein, measure it, store it, and select a potential use;
- how to troubleshoot common problems;
- basic terminology;
- basic definitions of fiber preparation;
- basic fiber information (what are wool, cotton, silk, etc)
Upon completion, I’ll send you a printable certificate of completion and you’ll unlock access to Spinning II.
Completing Spinning I, II, III, and IV unlocks access to seminars and classes for which that foundational framework is a prerequisite, including certification in the Franquemont Method of teaching the ancient technology of making yarn by hand.
Ready to sign up? The first session begins 5 September 2020, and registration for classes and events starts here.